Friday, April 15, 2011

Shut Your Mouth While You're Judging Me

Today I decided I was kind of tired of being held hostage in my own house.  Even despite the overcast and crappy day outside.  We are supposed to be expecting snow this weekend.  Yeah.  That's right.  Snow...in April.  Indiana, psh!  Anyway, I pack up my son who is not liking this day either and head to the outdoor mall for some lunch.  My vehicle is saying it is 65 degrees outside, which for Indiana is pretty warm.  I go into the restaurant and it is packed so I decide to get my food to go.  As I am given my food I am not given any silverware to eat said food with.  I then proceed to stand at the counter for a good ten minutes without anyone noticing me to ask what I might need.  Might I add here, poor customer service is one of my biggest pet peeves.  And yes, I've been there so I have a right to complain.  So I snag some pour soul who has the fun job of taking food out to the lovely customers for some plastic silverware in order to consume the lunch I just paid nine bucks for.  I proceed outside back to my vehicle and realize I really do not want to go back home to eat this and decide to sit outside.  We were the only two brave enough to sit out on the patio in 65 degree weather at this wonderful establishment.  Oliver is sitting in his car seat in a sleep & play outfit with a blanket on, and I had the cover pulled up on the car seat to protect him from what wind may come about during our lunch.  He was awake so he was enjoying looking at everything around  him while his mommy indulged in a too expensive lunch just to get out of the house. 
Then came the looks.
As people were entering the restaurant every person took a double glance at the horrible mother who was sitting outside eating her lunch with her infant son.  "Oh my goodness, doesn't she know it's cold outside" I could hear them saying.  Really?  It's 65 degrees!  If the sun were out, your ass would be sitting out here too enjoying your lunch and smiling at the cute little baby with his mommy.  I even had an older gentlemen approach us to look at Oliver and talk to him, and followed it up with "It's supposed to get cold.  Maybe even snow".  As to imply maybe I should not have my baby out in this weather!  I reply to him, "Yes, but right now it's 65 degrees outside so might as well enjoy it!".  Some of them even looked so disgusted as to possibly call CPS on me.  Oh the irony! 
So Oliver and I proceeded to enjoy our lunch out even though we were the talk of the town for a brief moment, and he laughed and played while I ate my soup and sandwich.  Seems like a pretty neglectful situation if you ask me.  A happy baby with his mom enjoying a nice day before snow...how dare us!

Oh, and happy tax day everybody!

1 comment: